Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Phase 3 Day 36

50/20

1a. Bench
250x6; 250x6; 250x5; 250x5; 250x4; 250x4; 250x3; 250x3; 250x2; 250x1 (39 reps, +5)

1b. Chins
4; 4; 4; 4; 3; 3; 3; 3; 3 (31 reps)

2.  Squat
295x6; 295x6; 295x5; 295x5; 295x4 295x4; 295x3; 295x3; 295x3; 295x11 (50 reps)

Notes
This was a pretty exhausting session, but my work capacity is off the hook right now.  This was in a lot of lifting in essentially 40 minutes.  I was surprised with bench. I felt weak as hell warming up, but my stamina ended up pretty decent.

Squat felt very smooth, though I didnt feel as loose as last week.  We had a scheduling issue with one of the guys that trains with us, so we needed to do bench first.  My glute/left hip started cramping during bench.  I had to "re-warmup" a bit to get ready for squat.

I'm not sure what came over me on the last set, but I just said fuck it and kept repping.  On the one hand, I'm happy that I'll be moving up to 315.  On the other hand, I'm already really sore.  This is going to suck.

Recovery
Back in October, 2011, I outlined "JB's Ultimate Recovery Routine" after an intense night of flag football. Basically, I just threw a bunch of shit at the wall and hoped it would leave me less crippled the next day.   I noted the next day that my routine worked.  I wasn't sore, though I didn't have much in the tank for my next workout.

My legs were cramping on the ride home, so I decided to pull up the routine and do everything I could to help myself reduce soreness. The primary difference between the flag football and tonight's session is that flag football was basically just high impact sprinting, whereas tonight's session was intense back squatting.

This is what I did tonight:

  • Intraworkout BCAA and all that fancy stuff I have
  • Chocolate milk immediately post workout
  • Very light foam rolling and stretching
  • 10 grams fish oil
  • 8 Ibuprofin tablets
  • 5 minutes very hot bath (Epsom salts)
  • 3 minutes ice bath
  • 5 minutes very hot bath (Epsom salts)
  • 3 minutes ice bath
  • 1 lb roast, 1 lb potatoes
  • Hot shower
Before I go to bed, I'll do some more light stretching and maybe soak in the warm tub again.  What I'm trying to do is reduce immediate swelling and inflammation (Ibrpofin, fish oil, epsom salts), fend off DOMS as best I can (contrast baths), and adequately feed myself for recovery.

I felt loose immediatey after the baths, but an hour later my legs are sore again.  Pretty sure I'm fucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment