Saturday, March 2, 2013

Phase 3 Day 28

Strength

Sumo Deadlift
415x5; 365x5

Conventional
365x5

Overhead Squat
88x3; 88x3; 88x3; 118x3; 88x5; 138x0; 138x1

Notes
This was Thursday's session. I tried conventional just for the hell of it.  It felt fine, but I didn't really feel aligned like I do in sumo.

I asked Connor to give me the PVC test while I was down in position for sumo.  I'm  happy to report that I had perfect spine alignment.  Lower back, mid, upper thoracic and head were all touching.  Sumo feels fine like 75% of the time.  The other 25% it irritates my hip.  That could be due to a number of reasons, but we'll see.  I'm going to give it a couple more weeks.

Overheads are really starting to feel great.  The tendency for me of course is to fall back into extended lumbar, APT, etc to get down into position.  I'm really not doing that too much.  I took a bunch of videos and had two people watching me.  I definitely could be more upright.  The OLY kid watching me noted that even now he can see I want to break with my hips and sit back a little instead of straight down.  Its a work in progress.

Interestingly, the heavier I went on Overheads the better I felt.  I struggled with shoulder stability on the first couple sets.  When I went up to 118 everything locked hard into place. I lost it on the first 138 attempt, but felt solid as hell on the second attempt.  Overheads are tremendously helping with my shoulder and thoracic mobility.  By the time I'm done, my external rotation ROM has improved by a good 2-3 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment