Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Final Week Before Powerlifting Meet

I randomly decided to do a push/pull meet this Saturday.  Ordinarily, I plan for a meet months in advance, but it coincides nicely with my training as I planned to max deadlift and bench anyways this week.  Fuck it, it's just lifting weights.

Last night - 10/24/11
I spent a lot of time thinking through how different routines treat the final week before the meet (hence the post below).  Nothing has been written for my routine - Dan John's 40 Day program - which calls for deadlifting and benching 5x a week.  Even so, the same principles outlined below should apply.  This is a high frequency routine, so I should perform the movements at least twice during the final week.  I've pulled strategies from many of the approaches to come up with this for my own final week:

Daily:  Stretching, mobility work, and shit tons of protein.  This is what I normally do, and its crucial to maintain mobility for a properly leveraged deadlift.

Monday
Bench - 135x5; 185x3; 225x1; 255x1; 275x1; 285x1 (all paused)
Deadlift - 225x1; 225x1; 225x1; 225x1; 225x1 (extremely focused work on setup)

Tuesday - Off

Wednesday - Off

Thursday
Bench - Singles at 185 (approximately 55% of estimated 1rm)
Deadlift - Singles at 185 (just working on setup, flexibility, and form)

Friday - Off (weigh in)

Saturday - Meet at 10:30 a.m.

Openers and Goals
I've never tried to peak off this type of routine, so here is what I have tentatively planned (subject to change on the day of the meet).

Bench - 300, 325, 340.
Deadift, 515, 570, 585-600.

No matter where my strength is the day of the meet, I'll push my body to the max.

3 comments:

  1. I am starting to understand your posts. Good luck at your meet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!

    I'm thinking I want to plan one in March.. there is a NASA meet Mar 17.. I just think that'll be good timing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you!

    Do it man, it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete