Monday, October 31, 2011

Perform Better 16kg Kettlebell: First Impressions

Last week I decided to buy a 16kg (35.2 lb) Perform Better "First Place" Kettlebell.  Let me just get this out now:  I'm pretty sure I've bashed kettlebells and the kettlebell crowd dozen of times in the past...  and I'm pretty sure I'll keep on bashing the kettlbell crowd in the future. I wanted a kettlebell for a few specific reasons.

First, mobility.  Using a weight to dynamically stretch is awesome.  I found goblet squats and swings do a great job of opening my hips and improving squat flexibility. While at iFast, Gabe commented my squat depth looked much better than it had a few weeks earlier when I posted some squat vids.  This is directly attributable to the stretching, mobility, and dynamic work I'd been doing.

Second, joint health.  I'm specifically thinking about my shoulders here. Barbell lifts (especially flat bench) put the shoulders in a constricted plane over and over again.  I've read, and been told, that KB's do a great job keeping your shoulders healthy and mobile.

Third, GPP and active recovery.  I'm a huge proponent of active recovery.  More is better - within reason.  Many of the top powerlifting and strength coaches promote short extra workouts to increase work capacity, enhance recovery, and bring up weak points.  See e.g., Louie Simmons; Glenn Pendlay; Boris Sheiko.   I won't be taking this to the gym. I want something I can do at home on off-days to get the blood flowing. GPP benefits will be moderate because I'm going to keep my work with the kettlebell moderate..  I'm not looking to become a hardcore KB enthusiast.  A 35 lb ball isn't going to make me "stronger."  This is just another tool to help me on the journey towards being a yoked mother fucker.  Plus, the Russians love these things.  Russians are fucking strong and destroy everyone in barbell strength sports.  So maybe there is something to them.

I plan to use this 2-3x per week at most.  As I said before, I'd like to use it in a moderate fashion.  Maybe two times a week I'll do swings and C&P's, and the other day I'll go outside and walk around with it.

Cost
The Perform Better KB is easily the best value on the market at this time.  The 16kg bell is $59.95, and shipping is free.  Dragon door is literally twice the price.  I'm no kettlebell expert, but I can't think of one good reason why ordering a $125 KB from DD is worth it when there are quality alternatives on the market. (DD used to be the only game in town).

Lifeline USA was also recommended to me.  They have the 16kg KB listed for $69.99 plus $15 shipping.  ($25 more than Perform Better).  These would be a solid choice as well, but from what I've read on KB forums, Perform Better and Lifeline use the exact same manufacturer.  The only difference is the company stamp.


Ordering and Shipping
One of the main reasons I went with Perform Better is their reputation for great customer service.  My experience is limited to one transaction, however the ordering and shipping went as smoothly as anything else I've bought from an online business.  I ordered on a Tuesday afternoon, and my KB shipped 2 hours later.  It arrived on Thursday afternoon.  I don't see how shipping (especially free shipping) could get any faster.  This is as good as Amazon Prime.

Quality and Feel
Well, it's a big, black, iron kettlebell.  The finish is extremely solid.  Most of the good kettlebell companies have a matte black finish that shows the slightly porous surface of the iron.  This is what I wanted.  You can just tell the finish will hold up well - much better than the smooth finishes on KB's in Wal-Mart that are prone to paint chipping.

There are no small jagged edges on the handle.  I've read this can be a problem on lesser quality KB's.  Obviously the handle needs to be smooth or there is risk your hand will get all cut up.

The rubber bottom, another problem area with KB's, is extremely stout.  I can't imagine the rubber sole coming off anytime soon.  It is fastened very tightly, and the KB sits perfectly upright.

The Perform Better KB weighed in at 34.6 on my digital home scale.  Either the scale or the KB is off a little (maybe both).  Either way, even if the KB is truly 34.6 lbs, I would say that is within an acceptable tolerance range for a large cast iron object.

Overall
I'm extremely satisfied with the price, quality, and fast service of Perform Better.  Now its time to see if I'll actually like swinging this thing.  Haha.




No comments:

Post a Comment