Monday, March 11, 2013

Phase 3 Day 34

Squat (50/20)
275x10; 275x8; 275x8; 275x6; 275x6; 275x6; 275x4; 275x5 (53 reps in 20 minutes)

Deadbug
BWx12; BWx12; BWx12

Notes
I got to the gym at 6:00 to find out it was closing at 6:45.  This sucked because I had a mega full body workout planned for tonight. I couldn't do my upper lift body over the weekend, because again, the gym was closed (weird spring break hours). I wanted to squat tonight because tomorrow I'm going to KC where I will be off my normal schedule.  So, I decided to just get my squat work in - this is the most important thing to me anyways.

This was easily one of the best squat sessions I've had in my life.  Everything felt natural.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but I literally squatted 53 reps with zero pain in my left hip. Hours later and it still feels fine.  My legs felt like pistons - they were actually doing the work.  I wasn't bouncing off my joints like I did for years.

Regardless of weight, the workload was high tonight - 14,575 pounds.  I'm pretty sure that even my Sheiko sessions did not approach this level of workload.  Granted, I was working at heavier weights, but I certainly wasn't completing workouts in 20 minutes.

One benefit of just worrying about reps and not weight is that I'm ingraining positive movement patterns.  This is much easier to do with manageable weight.

All in all, I'm feeling good.  Next squat session, which might not be for a week, I'm moving  up to 295 until I hit 50 reps again.  I kind of have 315x50 as a natural stopping point for the 50/20 type stuff.  I figure that will take me 4-6 more weeks.  After that, I'll start loading more seriously.. unless I fall in love with 50/20 and just keep doing it haha.  I can certainly see the appeal.

Tomorrow I'll be in KC for 5 days.  I'll probably end  up working out pretty much everyday.  I'm going to my GF's crossfit gym at least 1-2 times.  Should be a good time.

1 comment:

  1. I may incorporate some density training type stuff into my assistance work coming up

    ReplyDelete