Monday, September 12, 2011

Dieting the The Next 40 Days

 The V-Diet
I've decided to embark upon an extreme cut.  I'm tired of dicking around and half-assing diets.  I'm tired of looking jacked in some shirts, and sloppy in others.  I'm tired of having a gut. So, its time to take action and do something about it.

I believe the fastest way to lose fat while maintaining lean body mass is a protein sparing modified fast ("PSMF").  I've used a PSMF twice before.  The first time I used the V-Diet.  I was completely strict for 28 days.  My final weight loss was 16 pounds, and I really believe most of it was fat (I hit a 315x3 bench pr during week 3).  The first few days of the V-Diet challenged my will power like nothing else I had experienced in my life.  After day 4, I was amazed at how quickly I adapted to an all liquid diet.  I eventually got used to the perpetual empty feeling in my stomach as well.

The second PSMF I tried was Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat-Loss Diet ("RFL").  I only lasted about 2 1/2 weeks with this one.  I lost about 9 pounds, most of which was fat.  The Rapid Fat-Loss diet was definitely more challenging than the V-Diet.  Ultimately I believe I "failed" the RFL because I was left with too much choice.  It is extremely difficult to only eat 1400 calories in whole food day after day. The food options are mundane.  Egg whites, chicken, 96% lean beef, broccoli, greens, fat-free cheese.  Doesn't sound too bad until you realize you can add nothing to these food choices.  Nothing.  This is a high protein, extreme low carb, extreme low fat diet.  Just saying that pisses me off.

I believe the V-Diet is superior to the RFL in a few ways.  First, all choice is taken out of the equation. These diets create extreme caloric deficits (1200-2000 per day depending on activity level).  You are going to be hungry no matter what.  With RFL, you must constantly challenge your portion control.  You must also constantly challenge yourself not to add a little dressing or other tasty add-ons at every meal.  The V-Diet leaves you no choice.  What should I have for dinner today?  Chocolate, or strawberry whey protein?  Maybe I'll get a little crazy and do a scoop of both.

Second, the V-Diet changes the way you look at food.  You conquer food.  Food no longer controls you in anyway because you don't eat anymore.  Before the V-Diet, I basically only ate green beans, corn, and lettuce for my vegetables.  After the V-Diet, there isn't a vegetable I won't try.  I pretty much like all edible plants.  When your body is starved of nutrients, something in your brain is rewired to crave anything that is green.

Finally, the V-Diet is "simple" and "easy."  Simple because you just drink protein shakes all day.  Easy because drinking a protein shake involves zero preparation.  The V-diet is the preferrable PSMF for those on the go.  You have more time for other areas of your life when you don't waste any time cooking (like writing blog posts).

I'm not going to get into the downsides of PSMF's.  You are constantly hungry and generally irritable the first few days of the diet.  Yes, there are certainly less extreme ways to lose fat.  However, nothing is as fast as a true PSMF.  This time around I'm going to pay more attention to the two week transition phase after the initial 28 days. Part of the reason I'm posting all of this is to create accountability.  The more people I tell about this crazy extreme diet, the more steadfast my resolve will be to see the diet through.


Starting Measurements:

Weight:  251.8
Neck:  16 5/8
Shoulders: 52
Chest Upper: 44
Chest Lower:  46 ¼
Waist- Navel: 40
Waist: Largest: 41
Hips: 46 1/4
Upper Arm Right: 16
Upper Arm Left: 15 3/8
Upper Leg Right: 29 1/8
Upper Leg Left: 28 3/8
Lower Leg Right: 16 1/8
Lower Leg Left 15 1/2
Ankle Right: 10 3/8
Ankle Left: 9 1/4

I took pictures, but I won't be posting them until the diet is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment