Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hypertrophy Phase - Week 6, Day 29

Bench
225x18 (PR)
135x30 (PR)

Curl
135x5 (PR)
Bar x100 (PR)

Notes
This is my last day of the "Big Beyond Belief."  I'm not quitting, I'm pulling the plug.   I'll write more about the routine later, but I feel it has run its course for now.  During warmups I decided I have had enough.  I also decided that I was not leaving the gym without PR's.  So I would like to give a big FUCK YOU to the little grasshopper on my shoulder telling me  got weaker on this routine.  These are high rep PR's, but I still got better.  I'm also bigger, as evidenced by my most muscular down below.

Bench and curls baby, bench and curls.  Exactly one month ago on 8/25 I wrote in reference to curling:

To put things in perspective, I would have been very hard pressed to get more than 7-8 reps with 95 pounds before starting this program (yes pathetic).  I've always wanted to work up to the point where I'm curling 135 on the straight bar for reps.  That just looks fucking awesome.  I never put the time/effort into curling, but I'm going to do it now.
Today I reached my goal of "repping" 135 on curls.  It was actually decently strict, save for the last rep.  I heaved the last one like a mother fucker.  I finally understand why huge guys do heavy cheat curls.  Super strict reps has their place with some of the more technical compounds, but at some just moving more weight for more reps week in week out is what matters on isolation type stuff.

I almost started crying during poundstone curls it hurt so bad haha.  I did poundstone curls for the first time on July 17th of this year.  I hit 40 reps, and I remember thinking how hard it was, and how it would be a year before I hit 100 reps.  As Paul Carter has noted, I've also come to realize poundstone curls more an exercise in pain tolerance than anything else, but I can also say pretty confidently I've added at least an inch to my arms in the past 10 weeks.  I post pics and all that, but walking past the mirror in the morning I've noticed my build has started to take on another look.  Thick.  Powerful.  And I actually feel more powerful too.

Bench was cool - I was shooting for 20 but hit failure at 18.  I believe my previous PR was 225x16, which still sucks, but I'll take what I can get.  Doing higher reps on bench has really improved my form and made my pecs rock fucking hard.  Feels good man, feels good.

I'm going to stay with a hypertrophy/mass emphasis for a while.  I've looked at all the meet possibilities before Christmas and nothing really lines up.  That kind of sucks, but also I just need to accept that when I'm moving every 3-4 months its tough to get shit in order to do a meet.  In the mean time however, I can still

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing next.  I don't even know what I'm doing for the rest of the week.  I do know it won't be Big Beyond Belief!




3 comments: