Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Hypertophy Phase - Week 4, Day 19

Light Recovery Day

KB Swings
70 x 20
70 x 20
70 x 20

Dual Harness Sled Drag - Continuous for ~16 minutes
No rest between rounds
4 minutes x 180
4 minutes x 225
4 minutes x 270
4 minutes x 315

Sloshing Pillar of Pain
5 minutes

Notes
So my gym got 2 new implements.  First one is a heavy duty sled strap that comfortably wraps around both shoulders.  The second one is the Sloshing Pillar of Pain, popularized of course by Mr. Dan John:  http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_sloshing_pillar_of_pain  I don't do hyperlinks because I'm too lazy and I hate blogger.

Anyways, it felt great just working my ass off with the sled.  If there was an olympic competition for sled dragging, I'd train for it.  Besides the obvious shit that was getting worked - quads, hams, calves - I actually felt a ton of strain in my back after a while.  Not only my lower back, but my upper and mid back.  I never do sled work long enough to feel that.  This confirms that once again, BACK IS KING.  It is integral to fucking everything.

The pillar of pain was hard. Much harder than it would look.  I did three variations: on my back, cradled in front of me with high elbows, and above my head.  Back was easiest, in front was challenging, and overhead was ridiclous.  There is a lot of "core stuff" going on with the pillar of pain.  I think I'll do it to change up some of the waiter walk stuff that I've been doing.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjmyVZi5TIE&feature=plcp

    harder than it looks

    ReplyDelete