Thursday, June 7, 2012

Long Run - 5/05/12

Long Run

Miles: 5.04
Minutes: 51:10 (10:10 min/mi)
Avg HR: 142 bpm
Peak HR: 165 bpm
Calories: 705

Notes
I wanted to get in one decently long run before the 10k (6.2 miles) on Saturday.  I have no doubt I'll be able to finish the 10k without walking at all.  My goal is to run the whole thing and finish in under 60 minutes, which will put me at a sub 10 minute mile.

What I am really happiest about is my heart rate stayed relatively low during a run that is relatively long for me. 142 bpm is about 72% of my max hr.  That is a solid "mileage."   As I continue to run, I'd like to get it down into the 65% range for my bread and butter runs.  Running shares a lot of similarities to lifting.  The scale of intensity is different, but the 65% sessions in running are akin to 80% sessions in lifting.  You are getting work in, building your base, not killing yourself, and leaving yourself with the ability to recover and go at strong next time.

I'm really enjoying getting back into running.  It is really the only tolerable form of cardio for me.  DC is a great city for it as well.  Literally every block has some sort of important building, whether it be a national museum, a monument, or an embassy.  The only downside is its almost all sidewalks and pavement.  That is really hard on your joints after a while, especially for a huge fatass such as myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment