Monday, November 7, 2011

Sheiko Conditioning Week: Day 1

It's retarded to dive head first into Sheiko if you aren't used to the heavy volume.  Since I haven't done a back squat in well over 2 months, I need to ease into this a little bit.


Squat
225x3; 245x3; 275x3; 275x3; 275x3

Bench
185x3; 205x3; 205x3; 240x3; 240x3; 240x3

Y.T.I.'s  (for external rotation)
5x5; 5x5; 5x5

Leg Press
180x10; 180x10; 180x10

DB Row
80x8; 80x8; 80x8

Notes
-So the big question today leading into today was squats.  I actually felt strong haha.  Good pop, and I feel much more upright (compared to where I was before). I still have A LOT of work, but I'm seeing improvement.  I need to get more consistent with my daily mobility work. The couch stretch, glute bridge, and goblet squat seem to have the biggest impact.  Paused goblet squats are really helping me open up my hips and find a better bottom position.

-The Y.T.I's are for external rotation. The "Y" position is excruciating on my shoulder.  Bench and chins 5x a week for 7 weeks really fucked up my shoulder.  I meant to do facepulls and pushups after reading Mike Robertson's article, but I forgot.

10 comments:

  1. I'll stop by after I eat dinner here in a bit

    ReplyDelete
  2. So basically I was benching, doing pullups/chins, and dips 5x a week for 40 days. I thought I was being smart with the chins in there, but I didn't realize those internally rotate your shoulder as well.

    I'm dropping chins totally (I wouldnt be able to hang anyways). Bench doesn't hurt it at all. Then I'm going to do as much upper back, external shit as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as chins.. they aren't necessarily bad, but you have to not only get chest over the bar, but you have to also get your shoulders down and back. Now, that is the difficult part. You could just do them band assisted as pre/rehab.

    Regarding the ITY's, I would start on an Incline Bench and do them with no weights. Work on 3 sets of 8-12. I was trying to find the vid, but MR has someone who bench's 500lbs or so who could barely do them without weight.

    As far as Goblet squats, make sure you try to push your knees out hard hard hard. I found that to be key with Goblet squats for getting the correct activation/movement down.

    And also, if you are embarking on any kind of multiple sets/volume type program.. I highly recommend taking vids of your sets (even just for yourself) and watch them in between your sets and use YOURSELF as a coach. Thats what I've been doing and have found it to help tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS, Y's shouldn't hurt... maybe I's tho?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not the vid I was thinking of.. but I T Y's

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvpQAdgLpEk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks man great info... I could barely do them with 5 pound dumbbells. Maybe I did them slightly different based on some stupid vid I saw. My "Y" was overhead, and my "I" was backwards... I guess that is why I called them YTI's. But ya, anything above my head is excruciating.

    I get my chest to the bar, probably didn't get my shoulders back. For right now they just aren't worth it.

    I got goblet squats down much better than at iFast haha. I've watched a bunch of Dan John vids. I get deep and use my elbows to push out.

    Let me know if you got any other MR stuff on shoulders that you think might apply to my situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just watched the video, thats basically what I did today except I did it on a stability ball. I'll just do incline bench so I'm not flopping like a tard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, I'm not even sure what my "situation" is, other than it hurts like a mofo to raise my shoulder up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlhBgH24esM

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ktdgJrLRE


    This one was made actually right in front of me because of my rowing lol

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1fm5mfFk4

    ReplyDelete