Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Back to Work

My last squat session was exactly 3 weeks ago.  My last real deadlift session was longer than that.  So this is definitely the longest stretch I have gone without strength training... since I started strength training.

During the intersession I stayed busy and active.  I played tons of golf, did hill sprints here and there, hiked mountains, worked construction, hit a bench PR I'm proud of, and also did a few high rep circuit type sessions in an apartment gym.  (DB lunges, DB RDL's, DB Bench, Curls, Lat Pull downs, Abs, etc).  I wasn't lifting heavy, but I also wasn't sitting on my ass.

I feel both mentally and physically refreshed.  I'm excited to get back into it.  I do feel a little soft, but all my nagging aches and pains are totally gone.  Most importantly, my knees feel great.   I think this little layoff was good for me.

Moving Forward
The next 1.5 weeks I will use 5x5 style training to quickly get back to into it.  I believe high frequency is the best means to quickly regain strength.  For that reason, volume will be limited to 2 work sets per compound exercise as I increase intensity each session.  Soreness inhibits progress in frequent strength training, thus I will do my best to avoid it.

After that, I'm not sure.  Strength ladders are out until I rebuild work capacity.  I have a ton of interviews, weddings, and I'm moving in the next 3 weeks...soooo I'll figure something out.

STRENGTH TRAINING
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Squat
275x5; 275x5

Bench 
225x5; 225x5

Chins/Pullups
5; 5

Dips
10; 10

Notes
-I didn't feel strong, but I didn't feel weak.  I felt refreshed.
-The weight felt light, but I knew I would quickly fatigue if I tried much more.  Excited to get more in.
-This workout took about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment