Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Kettlebell Recovery, Core Training, and Conditioning

Swings
35x25
35x25

Windmills
35x8
44x8
35x10


Waiter Walks
44 x 400m lap

Notes
-I've made solid progress on both windmills and waiter walks.  Windmills are an amazing hamstring stretch and really nail your erectors, entire core and shoulders.  Waiter walks cause an intense shoulder burn, but also hit the upper back and side obliques.

-We make these kind of sessions challenging, but don't flirt too much with exhaustion or failure.  The moves get the blood flowing, my lungs working, and leave me feeling stretched out and healthy.  I will say the 400m waiter walk was challenging.  This definitely took on some characteristics of conditioning as I was really huffing and puffing by the end.  I just walked with the KB above my head until my arm got tired, and then I switched and kept going.

Little Diet Update
I do all these KB sessions fasted and then eat lunch right after.  Lunch today:  5 scrambled eggs, 1/4 cup real bacon bits, 1/2 shredded cheese, 1/4 onion.  774 calories.. 53g fat, 10g carb, 68g protein.  This is a standard lunch... I'll also have huge romaine salads w/ bacon, chicken, avacado, cheddar cheese, and an olive oil based dressing.  Sometimes I use an entire bag of lettuce.  Fiber yo. Calories usually come to 650-850.

Usually I'll have a mid-afternoon double protein shake, and I like to have 1 oz almonds around 5-6. Somedays I skip the protein shake in the afternoon, but I pound a double protein shake after every lifting session.  Dinner tonight is beef ribs w/ steamed veges.  This is pretty much how I eat everyday.  Post workout I'll add in moderate amount of carbs (40-60g) if I feel like I need it.  This is maybe 2 out of 4 lifting days out of the week.  The other days I just stay low carb.  For dessert around 9-10 I eat whatever my cheese is for the week accompanied by another amazing cinnabon double protein shake.  I really like smoked gouda, brie, and full fat stuff like that.

Once a week I'm doing a "big" carbup of 200-300 carbs.  The timing of this is kind of random.  Sometimes its after a lifting session, sometimes its not.  More than anything else, its whenever I've had enough days in a row of low carb and I just want to relax and eat whatever I want.

Overall this approach seems to be working. Most importantly it fits my lifestyle and supports my training.  I'm leaning out about 1lb per week, though things have seemed to pick-up as I've abandoned the big backloads and used more consecutive low carb days. I'm rarely hungry and energy levels are great throughout the day.  I will say I did 9 days in a row low carb during my deload.... this was too much and left me feeling semi-depressed and lethargic.  The sweet spot seems to be 3 days, with 5 days being the upper limit.

2 comments:

  1. that pic is awesome

    and good to layout your diet right now.. sounds pretty solid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks broski. Yea it was a cool time of night, and the campus is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete