Monday, July 11, 2011

New Program and Lift

PROGRAM
First thing first.  Ignore that split down below.  Lucky for me, the master of programming intervened over the weekend and gave me a great suggestion.  Power ladders.  The basic idea of ladders is minimizing fatigue while still lifting high volume and relatively high intensity (percentage wise).   In the original write-up found here, the author also lifted with high frequency.  Its almost like cheating.  You pick a rep range (I'm doing 1-2-3) and then go up the ladder.  Once you hit 3 reps, you start back over and work up to 3 again.

My workout below will pretty much explain it.  A couple of quick points.   I'm not going to move up in weight as quickly as Shaf does in the link above.  I really want to expand my volume at my current strength level.  I've never built and sustained a higher work capacity at my upper level of strength.  I think once I do this it will be a much easier transition into PR land, as opposed to psyching up Kroc Style every heavy set to grind out a PR.  Grinding PR's suck.  I want to hit easy PR's.  I want to smoke PR's and have some left in the tank.

Actual Split (The Real One)
Workout A
Squat
Bench
Bent Row supersetted w/ Dips

Workout B
MP
Deadlift
Incline supersetted w/ Pullups

Abs/Calves/Other stuff is thrown in at the end.

Assistance
I'll be sticking with my current weights until I hit 50 total reps over 5 sets.  Then I move up in weight and repeat.  Simple and easy to track.  Eventually I am going to start adding weight to the dips/chins.


Monday, July 11 - Lift

Squat
365x1x2x3x1x2x1x2 (12 reps)

Bench
275x1x2x3x1x2x1x2 (12 reps)

Bent Row supersetted w/ Dips
225x8; 225x8; 225x8 (24 reps)
15; 15; 15 (45 reps)

Ab Roll supersetted w/ Calves supersetted w/ Rotator Cuff Stuff
10; 10
135x20; 135x20
2xforget

Notes
-Enlightening day in the gym.  Why the hell didn't I try something like this earlier?  First, I have to note that I was still pretty banged up from deadlifts on Friday.  My lower back was still noticably sore today.  I also only got 3 hours of sleep last night due to cover letters/firms to 40 firms being due at 12 today.   So, from that standpoint, its not like I felt like superman.  BUT, I can already see why I'm going to like this approach.

-Unlike my usual heavy sets, I felt like I was getting better at the lift as I went on.   This is strength training. Again, it wasn't "easy," but I left the gym feeling like a normal human being.

-I'm going to try not to blast zeppelin 3x a workout for every heavy set from now on.  That is kind of a ridiculous way to train long term.  Tonight, I just did my sets in controlled manner.  Bar speed was good.  Tightness was good.

-Notice I didn't hit 3 on my second ladder.  I could have easily done it, but I didn't want to grind.  Next week I'll go to three and add a rep or two, or maybe three.

2 comments:

  1. Well two things.
    Someday when I'm in a ridiculously tight black t-shirt and grinning like a fool on the cover of my crappy strength book at Borders, I want "Master of Programming" under my name.
    2.) I have vivid memories of the prowler workout I was going to quit on after the other guys left and you sticking your mp3 player BLASTING "When The Levee Breaks" into my ears. Magically we doubled the number of sprints we had planned to do.....
    There is certainly something to be said for letting the animal out of it's cage once in while. But once you know it's there and it can be summoned at will, it's better to concentrate on building a bigger, faster, meaner animal most of the time.
    THAT is what I see coming from this.
    Very eager to see how this works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the time comes, you can cite me as the accrediting body for your title.

    Of course I remember the day of 10x100 yard prowler sprints. Perfect example of mind over body.

    I agree re: letting the animal out of the cage. There is no point in letting it out all the time. It makes it really hard to gauge progress. "Well technically my deadlift pr is 495x5, but that also involved psyche with 3 ammonia caps and multiple slaps in the face." How can you realistically build a program around isolated mega adrenaline induced feats of strength?

    Its time to train how strong people train.

    ReplyDelete