Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Coming Weeks

I awoke this morning  feeling like someone used my back for batting practice with a louisville slugger.  At first I thought maybe it had something to do the 3 a.m. pulls of jim beam while spinning in an office chair listening to Pour Some Sugar on Me.  Then I remembered I did a heavy grinding triple and high rep deadlift sets yesterday.    Last week my total deadlift poundage was 5425.  This week it was 7050 - almost a 30% increase in total poundage (way too much with some sets in the ~90% range.) My lower back hasn't felt this smoked in a long time.

I've had a lot of time to reflect on my training while laying in my bed watching family guy trying to rehydrate .  I'm number chasing.  This week I officially abandoned whatever modicum of 5x5 was left in my program.  I don't think number chasing is necessarily a bad thing.  I like the mentality.  Nothing busts through plateaus or takes you to the next level like just saying fuck it and going heavy.  The downside is it quickly becomes unsustainable.  There is no way I will be anywhere near recovered for a heavy squat session on Monday.  I'll still do it, but it will suck.

I'm in the best position that I can remember to finally bring my strength to the next level.  I'm busy, but stress is low, I'm getting great sleep and eating well.  As I mentioned to my brah Gabe in a text this morning, I haven't really gotten stronger in 2 years.  I've made plenty of progress in other areas that I am happy with.  But is my bench higher?  No.  Is my squat heavier? Not really.  Am I deadlifting more?  Nope.

The Coming Weeks
The coming weeks are going to be a little crazy.  I'll be flying home for a week vacation, potentially flying to NYC and DC for interviews, moving in August, starting school in August, and having more interviews in August.  I've seen what happens to my training in situations like these.  I coast by going in and hitting 1 heavy set to maintain strength.  Which is fine depending on what is happening in your life, but I don't want to coast right now.  I want to be stronger.

Split
My previous setup (2 full body heavy days, 2 bodyweight/bodybuilding days) worked great getting me back to decent strength levels.  It is no good for long term strength training however.  My program will use the basic exercises that I always use.  They are simple movements.  They allow the most weight to be used.  Thus, they are the best at getting you strong and jacked.  I really don't understand why people waste their time with other shit.   Anyways, here they are:
  • Squat
  • Flat Bench
  • Deadlift
  • Bent Row
  • Incline Bench
  • Military Press
  • Pullups
  • Dips

Day 1
Squat
RDL
Abs/Calves

Day 2
Bench
Bent Row
Incline
Pump Stuff

Day 3
Deadlift
Box Squat or Front Squat
Abs/Calves

Day 4
MP
Pullups
Dips
Pump Stuff/Rotator Cuff

After a long time doing more of a full body split, I'm moving into an upper/lower.  There are trade-offs with everything, but I think this is a better fit for my life right now.  It is mentally draining to squat, bench then row.  Hopefully this will keep me a fresh and get me out in and out of the gym.

I will continue to do hill sprints every day, or almost every day.  I'm addicted to them in a sick, twisted way.  I'll post my plan for progression later, but it is going to be pretty simple.  No percentages or wave loading.  It involves more  weight, and more reps.

4 comments:

  1. The funny thing is I am totally picturing you drinking Beam, spinning in an ioffice chair, singing, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, pretty standard Friday night behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, wanted to comment, keep in mind you've been in LAW SCHOOL for the last 2 yrs.. I'm sure that has probably interfered with lifting a little

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it definitely has... there are stretches were it isn't possible (or smart) to go in and destroy yourself with heavy deads/squats. You can't put yourself out of commission for the rest of the night when you still have 6 hours of work to do.

    BUT, I have also seen logs and plenty of examples of strong ass people that are extremely busy. You just have to be firing on all cylinders. I did an alright job of coasting through this year and maintaining strength. I got back to current levels in about 4-5 weeks.

    ReplyDelete