Monday, December 5, 2016

12/04/16

Cardio

Incline Walking
-30 minutes
-2.2mph @ 10 degree incline

Notes
Got a new heart rate monitor/fitness tracker - Garmin Fenix 3 HR. It rocks.  My heart rate was barely breaking 115 during this "cardio" so its time to slowly increase speed and/or incline.  I'm doing incline walking for a number of reasons: 1) low impact; 2) almost entirely fat-burning; 3) easy; 4) little impact on recovery; and 5) re-training my walking gait.

The last one - "walking gait" - is important for me.  I've re-developed a very pronounced heel strike when walking around in dress shoes the past 3 years.  In law school, I spent a lot of time and effort building up to full runs/jogs with minimalist shoes using a more natural "forefoot" strike.  The incline treadmill helps a lot with this, because you naturally (or if you think about it) strike the tread with your forefoot, as opposed to your heel.  If I had a readily accessible grass hill, I would prefer to train on that.  In any event, the idea is to build up some calf/ankle stability through walking, and then transition into minimalist jogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment