Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Last Strength Session in St. Louis

Power Day A

1. Clean and Jerk
135x3; 185x1; 200x1; 200x1; 215x1; 215x1; 230x1; 245x1 (PR)

2. RDL
205x8; 205x8; 205x8

3. Behind the Neck Jerk
135x3; 165x3; 205x1; 225x1; 245x1; 260x1 (PR); 275x1 (PR)

Notes
I'm wrapping up my time here in St. Louis. Movers are coming Thursday at noon, and I'm leaving directly after they are done.  I really had no idea what to expect coming into todays session.  I went to a wedding in Arkansas over the weekend.  There was an open bar from 5pm to midnight.  I was actually doing well controlling myself, until I hit the dance floor.  I'm doing some funky shit when all of a sudden I feel a loud "pop" in my right knee.  This is the knee that has kept me from squatting.  Its also the knee that made driving to this wedding an absolute nightmare.  Luckily I was drunk and didn't feel too much.  The next day I could barely extend my leg.  My knee was extremely sore, and I wasn't able to flex my quad without pain.

The best way to sum it up is my knee feels unstable.  Usually that is a sign something is torn.  It gave out a couple times going down stairs and just moving around.  So I was limping around for two days.  Surprisingly, I wake up this morning and it didn't feel too bad.  So I went in and warmed up, still didn't feel too bad.  Did some hang cleans with 135, and it felt fine.  Shrug.  It still feels like something is off, but nothing painful.

I'd been packing all day and just wanted to get in and do a basic session.  I felt good about the regular clean and jerk PR.   Jerking from the front is a little different since you have to readjust the rack position for a wider grip.  It also feels a little weird initiating an overhead movement with your elbows really high. I tried 250, but missed the clean twice.  My clean form still sucks.

The highlight of the day for me was the BTN jerk PR.  I wanted to do something memorable on my last session at WashU's basement dungeon gym.  I felt like a beast jerking 275  and holding it over my head.  I don't know why I'm good at these, but I'm not complaining.  This is somewhat of an unconventional lift, but I think its cool and fun.  I will take any barbell PR any day of the week.

As I said a couple weeks ago, there are tons of ways to get better at overhead movements.  I'm feeling good about the progress thus far.

Edit:  Cot damn this session wrecked me.  I've noticed the heavy jerks really take a toll on my body.  I think part of it is the jerk forces me to support much heavier weight overhead than I am used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment