Monday, May 21, 2012

First DC Lift: Full Body

Squat
315x3
365x3
365x3
365x3

Chins
BWx8
45x5

Sandbag Clean and Press
120lb x 3
120lb x 3
120lb x3

So I hit up a Washington Sports Club today after my first day of work.  It is literally 20 feet off the metro station I get off at coming home, and only a 4 block walk to the apartment.  Unfortunately, like most gyms, its got everything I don't need.  Tons of cardio, tons of bodybuilding machines, etc.  The one squat rack had a rusted bent bar.  Fuck that shit.

I realized how far I've come in regards to barbell lifting tonight.  I'm not talking about the overall weight I use, but more so the precision I've developed through thousands of repetitions.  I couldn't stand using a shit bar like that.  I use a barbell for almost everything.  I like feeling connected to the weight.  A good bar will be straight (of course), but will also have decent bounce and smoothly spinning collars.  All of this allows for bar control.  Not just moving the weight in a straight line, but making tiny little adjustments throughout the reps.

There was some cool stuff about this place... tons of kettlebells, battle ropes, and  lots of heavy sandbags.  Sandbags: holy shit.  Those clean and presses were hard.  It was a really cool and fun exercise.  The possibilities are endless. Too bad their sandbags are in better shape than the barbells.

The only reason I'll regret not going to WSC is I won't get to see Tumbe - this huge jacked Jamaican that works there 7 days a week.  By far one of the coolest and funniest people I've ever met. Looking back, I really only temporarily joined because Tumbe was hilarious.  He's going to be so sad when I tell him I'm not joining.

Balance Gym 
I'm 90% sure I'll end up joining Balance Gym.  http://www.balancegym.com/locations/thomascircle  Its a 20 minute walk from my apartment, but that is what it is I guess.  Its a lifters gym.  2-3 squat racks, a couple squat stands, deadlift platform with oly bar, all the bars spun like they were freshly WD-40'd, tons of kettlebells, heavy bag, speed bag, glute ham raise, chins/dips, etc.  You have to walk down an alley to get there and the inside of the gym is a little dark, a little smelly, and a little beat up.  Just the way I like it.  People actually fucking lift there and do shit to get strong.

On the roof there are tires, sledgehammers, and some sleds. I'll have to see if I can access that or not.  Balance Crossfit is right next to Balance Gym, and I think they only have access to the roof.  I'm not paying $200 a month.

A dude that lives in my apartment is really trying to get me to join crossfit with him.  He was in the navy etc, now is killing it at Georgetown Law.  I may do a mini-membership that allows me to go there 2x a week.  I just like training with someone and I want to do more metabolic conditioning anyways.  We'll see.  I openly hate crossfit so I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment