Monday, June 13, 2011

Lifting Routine

My current routine is a modified 5x5 that is designed to maximize recovery while still allowing me to lift heavy on a frequent basis.  I am very comfortable with 5x5 routines in general, but I am trying something new with this setup.   So far it has been working great.  I like having all of my heaviest stuff on a couple of days verses having a loaded barbell in my hands every time I'm in the gym.  That wears me down fast. I have good success with full body routines, especially during cuts.

I am currently on a summer cut.  My end goal for this cut is to break 230. Morning weight today was 248 (yikes).  I will post the diet in more detail over the next couple of days, but I am attempting to lose 2 pounds of bodyfat a week.  That means I need a deficit of about ~1000 calories a day.

Best lifts
Squat: 512.5 (competition)
Bench: 320 (competition); 315x4 gym
Deadflit:  560 (competition); 495x6 gym
Row:  295x3
Seated MP:  200x5


Monday - Heavy Day.  Straight Sets.
Squat          5x5
Bench          5x5
Row            5x5
Incline          3x8
Calves/Abs  6 sets
Conditioning:  Complexes

Tuesday              
Pullups
Dips      
Curls            5 sets
Laterals        5 sets
Calves/Abs   10 sets
Conditioning:  Hill Sprints

Wednesday - Off

Thursday - Medium Day. Ramped Intensity
Deadlift         3x5 (Straight)
Bench           3x5
Box Squat     3x5
MP               5x5
Calves/Abs   6 sets
Conditioning:  Complexes

Friday   
Pullups
Dips      
Curls             5 sets
Laterals         5 sets
Calves/abs    10 sets
Conditioning: Hill Sprints
Saturday - off
Conditioning: Long run

Sunday - off

2 comments:

  1. One thing I would suggest is you might add some of the following to your Tue or Fri:

    Face pulls, I T Y's, Row to External Rotation, Scaptions, etc..

    Maybe make one day, bi's tri's and shoulder isolations, and one day upper back/mid trap/scapular retraction/shoulder prehab work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good suggestion. I actually do need more shoulder prehab stuff.

    I do mobility work in the mornings with a foam roller and jump stretch bands (dislocations for the shoulders), but I really need to do more stuff at the gym.

    ReplyDelete