Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Phase 3 Day 14

Back Squat
225x5;
225x5;
225x5;
225x5;  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X634qqtx3pU&feature=youtu.be

RDL
205x10
205x10

DB Row
70x6; 70x6; 70x6

BB Incline
225x5
225x5
185x8

Conditioning
90 lb Prowler Runs

25 yards down and back x 12 runs

Notes
I'm  pleased with squats tonight.   I'm kinda neutral.  For like the first time ever. With that said, I still have a ton left to improve.  Tonight was important because after seeing the video, for the first time I felt confident that someday I'll have a decent, healthy backsquat.  That is basically what I'm after.  First and foremost, I want to squat in a way that does not fuck me up.  Once I can do that, I'll determine whether I want to go back down the road of powerlifting and heavy strength training. I DO want to go down that road, but I've decided the health of my joints is far more important than lifting numbers.  I know how to be a strong, active, healthy individual without squatting. I'd like to squat because, well, I like to squat.  But walking around and picking shit up without pain when I'm 50-60 (and beyond) is more important to me than improving my mediocre squat numbers.

I revamped my DB Row. Hard to explain what I was doing, but I'm fixing my lateral pelvis alignment.  I have a tendency to "dump" my hips out on DB rows. I had to lower the weight, but I was getting a nice contraction.

Over the weekend, I was reading a Pavel article about why the 16, 24, and 32kg kettlebell setup works well.  As opposed to having very small jumps, big jumps force you to get good at the movement more quickly.  So I said fuck it, and hopped up 20 pounds on incline.  Felt solid.

Legs weren't heavy, but conditioning wore me the hell out.  The pavement in STL is smoother than in NH, so its easier to push the prowler.  Now that I'm training with Connor again, I'll be doing more and more shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment