Monday, March 12, 2012

RTS Week 9 - Day 1

2nd Mesocycle

Week 3 of Mesocycle, Week 3 of Volume Phase

Squat
315x5 @ 7.5
350x5 @ 9.5 (initial)
365x5 @ 10
315x5 @ 8 (15% load drop due to maxed top set)
315x5 @ 8.5

RDL
225x5 @ 7
275x5 @ 8
275x5 @ 8
295x5 @ 9
295x5 @ 9

Leg Press
270x14
360x10
450x10

Planks
1:30
1:30 (+0:15)
1:15

Conditioning
100m Sprint x 5 at 80%

Notes
In my opinion, 5x5 is one of the hardest squat workouts.  After trying every rep scheme imaginable, and years of different programs, this is how I feel.  Its just hard... especially when the intensity creeps towards your upper threshold.  Part of it has to do with muscle fiber type.  Slow twitch dominant people will find heavier sets of 5 for sets across more difficult.  Part of it also has to do with the accumulated fatigue often associated with 5x5 style training.  In any event, I found tonight's squat session particularly difficult.

I probably should have treated 350 as my top set, but I'm starting to get tired of fooling around with this weight.  I've been squatting this for years.  365 was as hard as any squat set I can remember.  One thing I need to keep in mind is this is all beltless.  In the long run I know this will pay off.   Its making me a better squatter, but at the same time its pissing me off. I want to feel strong with decent weight on the bar.  I want to do sets of 5 in new territory for once.

The raw elite squat at 220 is 565.  The raw elite squat at 242 is 590.  I hit 242 briefly on Sunday, but I'm not sure I could diet down all the way to 220.  Either way, I feel miles away from an elite squat in both weight classes right now.  I know I keep saying I don't care about numbers, but that is a fucking lie.  In the end, its all I really care about.

I see absolutely no point in putting myself through 5x5 workouts every week if I'm not getting consistently stronger and moving towards my goal of elite powerlifting strength. All of this core work, prehab, conditioning, etc I'm doing is still important.  I realize that with my build and my current strength, I need to be an all around well developed, well conditioned bad ass to someday hit elite.

So what is my plan?  For starters, I'm extending my volume phase by one week.  I need more work with this style training session.  The only other thing I can think to do is try harder.  Put more weight on the bar, and fucking squat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment